Sunday, October 5, 2008

Changes...Enjoy The Journey!!

This weekend was the semi-annual General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I had a couple of talks that really touched me, but I think my favorite was the one in the Sunday morning session by President Thomas S. Monson. His talk was titled "Changes". He talked about how change is all around us, sometimes it's good change; sometimes not good change. But life is always going to change. He really specified about families/parents with small children. And that soon they will no longer be small. The fingerprints, the toys, the messes will all be gone tomorrow. He talked about how no matter what we do today, tomorrow will happen. What kind of memories do we want for tomorrow? What are we spending our today doing? What will our children remember about today? He said we need to enjoy the journey of life and not take anything for granted- no regrets.
He related a story of a war veteran (I don't remember what war) who had been a prisoner of war for two years. After two years of being held captive, he was finally allowed to write a letter home to his family. But he could only use 25 words or less. What would you say if you only had 25 words to express yourself to your family, after two years of not seeing them? We need to tell those around us how much we appreciate them and love them more. Sometimes in life it's so easy to go about the rush of life that it's hard to remember to enjoy the blessings we have!! Life is going to change-every second, every minute, every hour, every day. We need to enjoy the Journey!!

10 comments:

Becky A said...

That was a great talk, wasn't it? Thanks Jodi, I liked this post.

GINGER said...

I, too, loved this post. That was my absolute favorite talk. It sure made me stop and think. Thanks for making me think about it again.

Braxton sure was happy that someone else had to leave the party early for the priesthood session. He wanted to go to the priesthood session, but also the party. Fortunately River & Brax could do both. Thanks for the example.

Jenny Lee said...

I loved conference this time so much. I too thought President Monson's talk was so good. I'm going to try harder just to enjoy my kids and make special memories for them. They will be gone before we know it.

Kim said...

I loved that talk too! The part that hit me was when he talked about "their won't always be piles of laundry!" Lane and I looked at each other and laughed! In the next room, was a mountain high pile of clothes I needed to fold! That night I sat down and joy fully folded the laundry!

Jeni said...

I love to read what others loved about conference! This was such a good talk. This one and Wirthlin's were the ones that felt like they were meant just for me. I like those kind. :)

Steph said...

That is an awesome message, and one I need on a regular basis. I have such a hard time with this, in fact, such a hard time that I have a plaque in my house that says, "Enjoy the Journey." Thanks for your comments and for your example. I am truly learning a lot from all of you great people here. Love ya!

Jennifer M. said...

We loved that talk too! It sure did hit close to home. We were able to get on lds.org and click on a live link to watch conference on the net. How lucky we are to be able to hear the words of the prophet anywhere in the world.

Angela said...

Hi Jodi, I need help changing my blog to be cute like yours...all scrapbooky looking.
I love hearing stuff like that cause we need to be reminded. We seem so overwhelmed with stuff to do for all our kids but someday we won't have them and will miss it.
Just the other day, I felt like I needed to work and clean but instead I sat down and did puzzles with Parks and Logan. It felt sooo good. Then soon Parks was off to school and Logan napping so i didn't have any regrets. But then the next day...I forget to take the time, it's hard.

Angie said...

Yep this talk was exactly what I needed. The laundry comment stuck with me as well since I also had literally 5 baskets of clean laundry to put away in the basement! A good reminder for us to enjoy the journey though Jodi. Thanks for your encouragement and help last week.

Angie said...

I keep forgetting to tell you that I love the twilight bling on your blog! Can't wait for Nov 21st.