Saturday, November 1, 2008

BOYS WILL BE BOYS!!!





I have to admit, sometimes I feel very inadequate about being the mother of three very active boys. The other day was definitely one those days!! I have three metal lanterns that adorn the center of my patio set outside. The other day there were only two, one of the three was missing. Hmmmmmm????
Apparently Ridger and his two best buddies from the neighborhood were doing some adventure hunting in the field by our house when they found themselves a new pet! Now, I've had a lot of new creatures brought home to house for a few days until we either starve them or just kill them from not being in there normal environment. We've had worms,caterpillars,spiders, snakes, grasshoppers, ants, even praying mantises'. But Ridgers newest pet was a "dead mouse"!!! He had gotten one of my metal lanterns and made a very nice home for his pet to reside in! He had gathered many leaves and made a very comfortable looking bed for the new pet. He even gathered some food for the pet to eat when it awoke from the very sound nap it was taking. Oh, Ridger thought he had found the jackpot of all jackpots of pets!! The lantern the new pet was residing in was the perfect little home. It had a small door for easy access of feeding and playing with the pet. It also had a nifty little handle on top for carrying the pet from place to place. And the best part of the dead rodents home, was the glass surrounding, for perfect viewing of the new pet! And Ridger was so proud of his sleeping pet, he took it out to all the neighborhood and showed him off!! Now, I've did a lot of analyzing to figure out what in the world would entice him to touch, let a lone pick up and house a dead mouse. I've came up with three reasons of why he would do this:
#1 He is the youngest of four children and maybe he is desperately seeking some needed attention, maybe he is in need of companionship so bad he will take a dead mouse as his new pet! (We do have a dog and a cat, but they are officially River and Rylee's)
#2 Maybe he is just extra sensitive and has some very strong motherly/fatherly instincts and just couldn't bear seeing the sweet little creature all alone in the big field.
#3 Or maybe it is just a typical case of boys being boys!!
Or maybe a little of "all of the above"!! So, if you receive a Christmas card from our family this holiday season, with a picture of our family, the dog, the cat and a sweet little dead mouse please know that Ridger just really needed a new pet!! (please pray for me!!!LOL)

10 comments:

Stacey B. said...

How cute!! I miss all that boy stuff. Travis once was chasing a mouse along the side of the house and the mouse suddenly stopped and Travis stepped on it and it died...he was so sad!!

He needs a hamster!!
You should get him one!!
Ha Ha!

amy said...

That is the cutest story! Such a creative kid

Kim said...

That is too funny. I agree with your last assumption, BOYS WILL BOYS! I think mice are so cute! (those little brown beady eyes) Look on the bright side though, that's a pretty easy pet to take care of! LOL!
(until it starts to decompose)ICK!

Angie said...

Ridger is a boy after my own heart. Trying to give the angel mouse a good home, and some food for when it awoke. That is too sweet!! I will give him extra prizes when he comes to the office next time. Loved this post Jodi!

Thx for the tag. I'm just catching up on blogging :) whew, goodbye October!!

Jenny Lee said...

So funny! I loved that story. Boys are awesome. They do some of the craziest things. That was the perfect little house for it. So cute!

Angela said...

I'm looking at the picture of the three boys and thinking about Parks how he would love to go adventure hunting with them! If only I could get the Lee's home.:)
I'm in your same boat, one daughter with three younger brothers. But they sure have fun together. I think you are doing an awesome job. We set traps in our garage and my boys love to find the dead trapped mice. Kind of cruel i think to get so excited about them.
By the way you have very good taste on your blog background! ha ha

Becky A said...

that is a way funny story! what cute boys. I would be worried about Hantavirus...dead mice are kind of gross to me! what a perfect little house for the sleepy guy, anyways!

Tiffany said...

Oh Jodi that is so cute! Brooke loves things like that to she brought me a snake this summer that was wrapped around her hand, and asked me to find the spider that got lost in her hair. sometimes I wonder if she should have been a boy... I love your stories and your tag was great too. (lol)

Tiffany said...

Jodi, You asked a while back if I had another blog and I do Chris wont let me put my kids pictures on the internet. Send me your email address and I'll send you and invite...
tiffanyjones1@comcast.net

GINGER said...

That was a fun story. I wouldn't have handled it so well. Mice gross me out, dead or alive. You are such a terrific mom.