Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Feelin' L U C K Y ! ! !

On January 15, 2009 a US Airways jet landed in the Hudson River in New York after colliding with a flock of birds. Every single person on the plane survived the crash. It was truly amazing and miraculous. Some time after the crash I watched a documentary on the ordeal. They had the entire crew that was on the plane that day on the show and were interviewing them. As I listened to each person explain the ordeal, every member of the crew said how grateful they were to be alive and how lucky they were... except for one. As they interviewed one particular flight attendant all she could do is say how horrible the whole experience was. Not once did she say how lucky she was to be alive. I'm sure it must have been absolutely horrifying to be on that plane, and this particular flight attendant was in the back of the plane which took the most brunt during the crash. Also the back part of the plane was emerged in the water the most and also the people in the back were the very last ones off the plane, so I'm sure it was even more traumatic for the ones in the back. But, still not once did this flight attendant recognize how really, really lucky they all were to get off that plane alive. I was amazed at how truly negative she was, again it is hard for me to sit and say this not truly knowing how horrible it must have been to be aboard this flight. But still I could not believe that not once did she say she was grateful or lucky to be alive. It honestly surprised me, that after all she had been through that she wasn't a little more grateful. After everything they had been through, I felt that this should have been all the more reason to appreciate life, and how fragile it really is and just how truly lucky she was to be alive.

Bad things happen a lot, but it is really our outlook and our reaction to those bad things that matters most. On the most part, most of the people I know are really lucky and have so much to be grateful for! So on this Irish holiday I feel I am so LUCKY!! No, my life isn't perfect. I could make a huge list of the unlucky things that have happened to me lately, but I choose to look at the lucky side of these bad things. They have made me a better, stronger person and appreciate the lucky in life! Happy St. Patricks Day blogging world!! I am so lucky to have such great blogging buddies!! May the LUCK of the Irish be with you today and always!! (:

10 comments:

Becky A said...

such a great post, Jodi! I am a firm believer that a positive attitude has a direct affect on our health and well-being in general, even though i'm not a very good example of it.
You, however, are a wonderful example of a positive person. I feel so LUCKY to be your friend! :)

Jeni said...

oh jodi...what a beautiful post. You truly are a positive uplifting person and I really admire that.
Thanks for the "lucky lift" today!
I'm with becky...I feel LUCKY to be your friend.

Becky A said...

hey! My comment showed up after all. I'm glad, it was too long to type again...

Jodi said...

Becky!!!! Sorry!! Too funny!! I was trying to move my Happy St. P day blinkee from my side to the post and it wasn't working- it made the whole post disapear for minute!! You must have commented right in the middle of my rearranging!! LOL!! Thanks for your sweet comments!!

Ellie McFreaken said...

What a great post. You ARE a positive inspiring person Jodi. I DO think that attitude has so much to do with overall well-being. I am going to sound redundant here...we are all so lucky to know you Jodi.
I will have to tell you about a story on the plane ride home sometime. It kind of has to do with this but It would take a huge amount of space. I too feel so Lucky with all that we have and are.
I will have to post a Quote that Jake's Grandma had last night for our St. Patty's Dinner. I will ook it up and post it. Goes right along with this.

Angie said...

Jodi, I think we watched the exact same program on 60 minutes. I also thought it was sad that the injured flight attendant didn't bother to appreciate being alive. When she was talking about the landing she almost looked snooty towards the heroic pilot sitting next to her. As if he could've avoided that. I'm sure you saw the demonstration on how the plane would've torn in the middle or at both ends had he not landed rear first at such a perfect angle.
I started crying when the passengers and their families met the crew - all were so thankful for not being widows, parentless, & childless because of the pilot's actions. I also cried when the pilot and his wife read those letters.
I have been guilty of not counting my blessings lately because I feel like every time I really appreciate something, I start to get tried on it. Deep down I know I am super lucky though. I just need your posts to remind me :)

Angie said...

I just had to come back because:

1. I started cleaning and it was boring.

2. I don't see what the big deal is if I haven't showered today.

3. I was thinking about the rear flight attendant and realized I was being too harsh on her. Like you said, we don't know what she went through and also we don't know how much of the interview was cut out of the program. She was probably just as disappointed in how she came across as well. If the media ever wants to interview me, I will refuse because they crop as they see fit. That being said, I don't anticipate anyone ever wanting to interview me.

The Kohlers said...

Great attitude Jodi! Too bad for her to not realize how lucky she was!

GINGER said...

That was a fantastic post. It was so uplifting and has made my day better already. Thanks for sharing that

Angela said...

It is interesting how people look at the glass either half full or half empty. I (sad to say) am the half empty type. But Larry puts that positive perspective into my view. I'm lucky to have him! Thanks for reminding me to be grateful for what I have!