Monday, February 16, 2009

BOYS WILL BE BOYS!!!...AGAIN!!!




Last fall I posted a cute story about Ridger (November 2008) and how he caught and housed a tiny "dead" mouse in one of my decorative lanterns that adorn my patio table. He had put some leaves in the lantern for the mouse to sleep on and some tiny berries for it to eat. He was so proud of his new sleeping pet that he took it around the neighborhood to show it off. Well...

Last week Ridger had been over at the neighbors house playing when he saw a dead mouse in their yard. The neighbors had seen some mice in their garage, so they put out some deacon to kill them. When they saw the dead mouse they told Ridger that we needed to make sure the dogs didn't get it. They were worried that the deacon in the mouse might hurt the dogs if they ate the mouse. Well, apparently Ridger thought that they meant that they didn't want the dogs to get the poor little helpless mouse. So Ridger took things into his own hands. Literally!! Later that day him and the neighbor girl came inside the house and informed me that they had put the mouse someplace safe, so the dog wouldn't get it. First I made him change his clothes and scrub his hands. Then I asked him where he put the mouse, he said "behind a bush"!!! He would talk about the mouse often, every time telling me that our dog would never get the mouse. A few days had past when I was out on the patio. When I was walking in the door I looked in the corner of my steps, and there behind one of my planter boxes was one of my lanterns. Hmmmmm?? As I proceeded to reach over and grab the third lantern and return it to its usual place on the patio table. I noticed something inside the lantern!!! Oh my goodness!!! Ridger had put the sweet little mouse inside the lantern to protect it from the dog, and then hid the lantern behind the bush(the planter box).
So, I must add one more reason to why my beautiful rod iron lanterns make the best home for sleeping rodents-it provides a safe place for them to reside, and keep them protected from dogs or any other creature who might try and eat them!!! (I do believe we might be getting Ridger a hamster for his next birthday!!!!!)

11 comments:

Becky A said...

hmmm...good idea with the hamster, Jode...

Angela said...

Ridger is sooo cute. These are going to be fun to look back on and remember when he grows up. I want to get my kids a hamster too now that we are dogless...but Larry said no. ha ha

Jeni said...

Such a cute sequel to the other story! That boy is adorable!

Jenny Lee said...

That is so funny! He sounds like such a typical boy, but with such a caring kind heart! You gotta love him!

Steph said...

I've been waiting for this one. Such a cute story!

Debbie said...

So, does he still think it's alive?

Ellie McFreaken said...

That's too funny Jodi....what a cutie!

The Kohlers said...

What a cute boy! I love hearing funny stories like that..priceless!!

GINGER said...

Jodi, you are such a good mom. I would have freaked the first time over the dead mouse, and I would have completely lost it over the second. What a sweet boy though, with a huge tender heart.

amy said...

You better get him a lantern for that hamster too or he'll just take yours.

Jodi said...

Amy!!! I'm laughing so hard!! You are so right about that!! I have no idea what enticed him to do this in the first place!! But he would defintely put the hamster in the lantern!! Maybe I'll just have to give him one of the set of three and let that be the hamsters cage/home!!! LOL!!