Monday, December 1, 2008

Counting Down!!



I found this idea from a blog I love to follow and decided to add it to our Christmas traditions. I bought 25 Christmas bags from hobby lobby and put a fun activity or small treat in each bag. Then I numbered each bag from 25-1,tied them shut with a ribbon and hung the bags on the railing. Each day until Christmas we open one bag as a family(counting down from #25) and do the activity that is inside. Some of the ideas that are inside are: making cookies for Santa, reading the Christmas story out of the bible, going to see the Christmas lights,making a Christmas package for Trevor's missionary brother, and some just have a treat inside. The kids are so excited every night to open a bag and see what is in each bag!!

10 comments:

Angela said...

I LOVE the idea. I want to do that too. We'll be behind, but the kids would rather start now then never. Maybe we'll do the 12 days to Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

brenda schenck said...

Cute idea we will have to try it.

Stacey B. said...

What a fun idea!! I have been trying to come up with some new ideas for traditions for my family, I may have to try that one.
This year we decided not to go on the Polar Express as we usually do, we thought that the kids might be getting to old. Now that it is just about the time that we would have been going I am sad that we decided not to. So, I was thinking that we would have a Polar Express night right here at our house...with PJ's, cookies, hot chocolate and of course watch the Polar Express movie.

Jodi said...

Stacy! That is such a cute idea!! We opted out of our usual Polar Express trip this year too, and I am also sad now that we should be going, I might use your stay home version too!!!

Becky A said...

so cute, Jodi! That looks really cute on your stairs! So did you place certain ones on certain days or is it all just random? Like did you plan when you would go see the lights and number that bag accordingly? (I'm a planner) Love the Christmas layout, by the way!

Jodi said...

Becky, yes, I had to get a calendar and figure out what we could and couldn't do on each day, and I made a schedule for me so I can remember what is in each bag to be sure I have what we need to do each activity, (ex. ingredients for cokkies) etc. Also when Trev and I will be in New York I just put a treat and a note from us or just a Christmas story to read with Grandma. It took a little figuring out, but it was fairly easy!!

Steph said...

That is cool. Cute way to decorate too. I am really needing some new ideas so that I can enjoy the season and it isn't such a stressful time. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Jodi what a cute idea!!!!!...maybe we can do the 12 days like Angela mentioned!
When do you guys leave for NY? I can't wait to see your pictures when you get back!

Unknown said...

That is So Cute I wish that my mom would do stuff like that!!!

Love,
Kennah

Jeni said...

WOW! That is so neat...I have got to start doing something like that to make the holidays extra special.