Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Day Out On FrontRunner






My neighbor, Michelle, and I took Ridger and her son Tanner on the FrontRunner yesterday. Both our boys love trains so we thought we would make a fun day of it. We loaded the train in Farmington, it was a little cheaper and didn't take quite so long. Luckily, Michelle knew right where to park, pay and load. We rode the train to the Salt Lake terminal, where we rode Trax to the Gateway. Then we took the boys to Discovery Gateway. None of us had ever been to Discovery Gateway before. It was so neat. They had so many fun things to do there. Ridger's favorites were the big red truck, that you could put pretend gasoline in, and pretend air in the tires. He also loved the water area, that had a waterfall that you could put balls in and watch float from the top down and other fun things to play with in the water. He also loved the Construction Zone with a big play crane and play rocks and also the block building area that had a pretend earthquake that would break your block creations down. Tanner seemed to really enjoy the pretend store that had real cash registers and tons of pretend food. He also liked the water area and the construction zone. I was intrigued by the ball area where you could put bright colored balls into a clear tube and watch it be sucked back over to the ball pit. I also loved the pretend garden where you pick play-vegetables out of the cute garden, and also the area with real working cameras where you could pretend you were a newscaster from KSL. It was all so adorable and I can't wait to go again. After we left the Discovery Gateway we went to the food court at the Gateway and got lunch. Then we headed back to Trax, which took us back to the FrontRunner terminal and headed home. It was such a neat day and the boys had a lot of fun. We only had two minor mishaps. The first one was when we were trying to get off of Trax at the Gateway, the doors wouldn't open. We pushed the "door open" button many times, on two different doors, and they wouldn't open so we had to get off the next stop. The next mishap was when we were getting on the FrontRunner to go home, and I was standing in the doorway and Ridger was outside the train and the doors started to shut. I grabbed Ridger to pull him in the train and the doors smashed right on him. Michelle and I were both trying to pry the doors open, but they wouldn't open until we pushed the "door open" button. It was crazy that the doors don't have a sensor, like elevator doors, so when someone is in the way it won't shut on them. But he only cried for a second, I think it just scared him more than anything. As soon as the train started moving he forgot all about it. It was so much fun and I can't wait to take my other kids to Discovery Gateway, I think I might even attempt the FrontRunner again another time!!

4 comments:

Becky A said...

that sounds like so much fun! we haven't been on front runner, yet. And just went to discovery gateway last year for abby's field trip. I've been wanting to take my little ones there! What a fun day!

Jenny Lee said...

Jodi, I'm so glad that you're blogging! It will be so fun to keep in touch with what your family's doing! I'm glad that you had such a great day with Tanner and Michelle. Our kids loved Discovery Gateway too. They still talk about going there and want to go back. It was so good to see you the other week. We miss you guys so much! I just posted about our trip to St. George, so check it out.

Kim said...

How fun Jodi! What a great idea!
And....Thanks for the nice comments on my blog!

Ry Ry Shae said...

Oh they are so cute!!! (8 my fav is the picture where they are sucking their thumbs!!