Sunday, January 11, 2009

KINDNESS!!

Wow, it's been almost two weeks since I posted something on my blog!!! This will actually be the first post for 2009!! That either means reality has really set in and I don't have nearly as much time as I wish. Or, that means that there hasn't been anything very exciting to "blog" about!! Maybe a little of both!!!!

Well, today Trevor and I had to speak in our ward sacrament meeting for our church on the subject of being kind. I decided to post some of my thoughts on this subject since it consumed me for so long, and it was all I thought about for so long!!

Kindness is how a Christlike person treats others. Kindness should encircle all of our words and action's at work, at school, at church, in our community and especially in our homes. We often times get so caught up in getting everything done that needs to be done that its so easy to get stressed and take it out on our family members. The things we say, the tone of our voice, the anger or calm of our words-these things are noticed by our children. They see and learn both the kind and the unkind things we say and do. We need to be an example of kindness, gentleness and compassion for our children. They will emulate us, both to each other and to their peers. Nothing exposes our true selves more than how we treat one another in the home.

There are so many things in this world that are out of our control, sickness, death, financial hardships, the list goes on and on, but kindness is one of the few things we can control. It is an attitude that comes from within us. At any given time, we may lose our strength, our health, our money, and every single possession, but we will never lose the happiness in our lives if we are kind and unselfish.

President Gordon B. Hinckley said, "Why do any of us have to be so mean and unkind to others? Why can't all of us reach out in friendship to everyone about us? There is so much jealousy, pride, arrogance, gossiping, criticism, and people who rise in anger over small unimportant things."

The Savior was the epitome of kindness and compassion. Kindness is one of the most Christlike attributes we can develop. In striving to perfect ourselves, we will find that we need to learn to love as the Savior loves.
On the very night that Jesus was to be delivered up to cruel men, to be spit upon, beaten, whipped, tortured and finally killed, the Savior made this crowning pronouncement to his disciples. Knowing full-well his fate, he said, "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." The love that the savior intended was to be much more than something we said, much more than an affectionate feeling, it was to be the kind of love that has an unimaginable far reaching impact.

Last week we had a very big snow storm. Our kids love being outside and especially playing in the snow. One of their favorite things to do is go sledding behind the four-wheeler. Trevor drives and hooks the sleds up to the four-wheeler and takes them for a ride. We have a fairly big yard that we use, but Trevor also enjoys pulling them through the road. We are full aware that this is probably not legal, but since we live on a dead end street without very much through traffic we feel it is still safe. Apparently one of our neighbors doesn't feel the same way! Someone called the Sheriffs department last week and make a complaint about us doing this. Three out of four of my children also had other "incidents" last week where they felt they had been treated very unkind. I don't know if the people who I felt were being unkind to us, were really intentionally trying to hurt us, but it was very discouraging. All of these incidents were the week I was supposed to stand and speak on Kindness. What a difficult week it has been to let these, maybe small, but still upsetting incidences go. I honestly feel that Satan was testing me, and it was a tough test!! When someone hurts us our first reaction is to lash back and hurt them in return. But one thing I have learned in my life, and especially this week is that "returning meanness to meanness, only brings more meanness!!"

I hope that I can be more kind and Christlike in all that I do! I also hope that I never have to speak in church again!! (OK, at least for a very very long time!!!)(LOL!!)


8 comments:

Jeni said...

I really did love your talks yesterday. You guys did great and I really needed to hear about this subject. I've got a lot to learn about it.
About the 4-wheeling...I can so relate. There always has to be one person to ruin the fun for everyone. Sad. :(.

Angela said...

Jody, you and Trevor did an awesome job yesterday. I'm not just saying that to be "kind" either. I like when people have stories on the subject, that make it so much more interesting and my kids listen too. Thanks Trevor for making me bawl! I don't know how people can do rude things and not try to hide it is my question. I may not like someone but that someone would never know because I don't dare be rude to their face or mean to their kids on purpose like some people! It is frustrating but we just need to worry about our own families and try to be kind and let these things go. Sometimes these people consume me and I know it is Satan trying to discourage me. Well I told Larry like 3 days ago I have a feeling we'll be speaking soon! The bishop is whipping through the whole ward pretty fast for spearkers. ha ha If I lived down there I would make Trevor a deal, "if you pull my kids on their sled then I won't call the police". ha ha My kids would love that. We drive Nolan's fourwheeler around too. Some people are just miserable and want others to be miserable too. But you inspired me to be more kind! I needed it. :)

GINGER said...

Well I wish I could have heard your talks, but I am sure they were wonderful. Truly, I can't think of two people better to speak on the subject. It truly is amazing how unkind people can be. I always thought it was a girl thing, but am finding boys can be pretty mean too.

P.S. Tell Trevor thanks for coaching the Jr. Jazz team. It just wasn't working for us no matter how hard we tried. Brax is THRILLED to be playing with River.

BookwormMom said...

Why couldn't your neighbor come to you instead of calling the sherriff? Ask you to stop? Air their concerns. I just don't understand why they had to escalate things.

My dad used to pull us behind the snowmobiles all the time, and we LOVED it!!!

Becky A said...

You and Trevor are seriously 2 of the kindest people I know! The Arnell's love you guys! :)

Tony said...

Really wish I could have been there to hear your talks, but I will say that you are great examples of being kind. I don't have to hear you talk about it, cause I see you in action everyday. Thanks for the example. So glad the Lord wanted us to be your neighbors.

Tony said...

Soo sorry Jodi! It's me again...Stephanie/not tony

Tony is getting pretty good at commenting on peoples blogs huh?

Jennifer M. said...

I wish I could have heard your talks. If there was anyone ever more kind, it is you and your family. I feel bad that someone had to put an end to a little bit of fun. Who would call on someone like you. You didn't deserve that. We really miss you and your kindness that you showed to us. We miss you all greatly.