Thursday, January 15, 2009

D.A.R.E.




Today River had his DARE graduation program! Our school district does a half year program for all sixth graders in the school district. The purpose of the program is to educate the children about the dangers of drugs and alcohol. The program deals with short term dangers and the long term dangers of using drugs. It also teaches the children to say no to drugs and alcohol and stand up to peer pressure and seek good friends. I really feel that this program is such a great program for the school district to continue doing. I'm sure it costs the district a lot of extra time and money, but is so worth it.


For the program today, the mayor spoke, the DARE officer, the sheriff and also Miss Utah 2007. Each of them had a great message to share. I was really impressed with Miss Utah. She had the best message and I really felt she connected with the kids and was so inspirational!! She spoke about her younger brother and how he overdosed on drugs, the first time on Christmas one year. And the second time he died from the over-dose. She was so good!!


I really hope that River remembers everything he learned from this program and never does any kind of drugs. I think one of my worst fears is that one of my boys will get mixed up in drugs of some kind. I honestly feel that people who get mixed up in drugs have the hardest time keeping off them and truly can't live a normal-responsible life. I am so grateful the school and the district feel that this is such an important program to continue!! Congrats River and all you DARE graduates!! Always remember what you learned and never give in to peer pressure!!!!

3 comments:

mtbuttars said...

Good Job River! I think that this is an awesome program as well. I've seen too many bad things happen with drugs. I'm sad I missed you at Bunco. I heard Missy had her baby! I am so excited for her. How are her and the baby doing? What did she name him?

Jeni said...

I had no idea it was so extensive Jodi! What a neat thing...I can't wait for Cade to do it.

Stacey B. said...

Way to go River!!! The boys look so cute in this picture. I am sad that I missed it...and I wish that I had an excuse other than I was just LAME that day!!